view:  full / summary

A Day of Copper Bolusing

Posted by [email protected] on July 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM Comments comments (1)

I was overjoyed to see that our size 0 gelatin capsules had finally come in the mail yesterday. I immediately got to work making smaller copper boluses from the large Copasure cattle boluses. We use a standard syringe with the tip removed to measure the copper at 1cc per 50 pounds. We had weighed the herd a week before using a goat weight tape from Caprine supply. We originally planned on waiting the standard six months between each bolus, but decided to go with 4 months when signs of deficiency began cropping up. Classic signs include a fish tail, black hair turning red, curling hairs, and patches of hair fading to white. Once the capsules were all filled, then came the fun part. Rachel and Shasta ate their capsules no problem with a handful of pelleted grain. Oreo ate one, but I had to slip the second into the corner of her mouth. Then came Heidi. She is notoriously picky about things I add to her favorite food. After spitting them out a few times, I put her in the stanchion and used a glove to shove them way back in her mouth. After about a minute of holding her mouth gently closed and massaging her throught, down it went. She got extra grain afterwards to help wash it all down. Soon after, dinner was served, and goaty life returned to normal, if not a bit more coppery. :) 

The original Copasure boluses:

The size 0 empty gelatin capsules:

Sigle Capsule:

The Syringe:

Our First Batch of EASY Raw Goat Milk Yogurt

Posted by [email protected] on June 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM Comments comments (0)

This morning, I suddenly decided that raw goat milk yogurt sounded absolutely delicious. Plus, today looked like the perfect day to try out a new recipe. I read some quick internet instructions and got to work. 

Step 1. Filter raw milk into a large pot

Step 2. Heat milk to 105-110F

Step3. Add 1 tbsp. of storebought unflavored yogurt per cup

Step 4. Stir

Step 5. Cover with the lid

Step 6. Walk out onto the balcony or other sunny spot with pot of milk

Step 7. Leave the pot outside in extreme heat for 6-8 hours (it's about 100F right now and supposed to max out at 107F here today)

Step 8. See if it actually worked!

Step 9. Enjoy, or feed to dogs and chickens if it didn't work out :D 

Pictures taken less than 5 minutes ago at 2 hours in:


The temperature ended up reaching 111F, rather than 107F. We left it out to frement for a total of 71/2 hours. We chiled it in thhe fridge overnight, and were a bit disappointed to find it more the waterly consitsancy of kefir rather than milk. However, the taste was good and we were not to be deterred. So, I made strawberry smoothies, and they were delicious. Sorry chickens, I am keeping this for myself! 

Note: I read that adding too much starter yogurt can cuase it to trun out to watery. Many people reccommend 1 tbsp. starter yogurt per half gallon, rather than per cup. I also tried to filter it in a reusable coffee filter, but it was too watery and it all fell through. We just ordered some traditional yogurt cultures from this website: . Hopefully I can get those ones to turn out right! :D 

You Know you are a Hill Billy When...

Posted by [email protected] on June 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM Comments comments (0)

You milk a goat, feed the ducks, clean the chicken coop, and fix a prolapsed chicken all before 8:00 AM. :) I woke up a bit earlier this morning and debated wether or not I should wean the three month old babies today. Then, I heard their pathetic little cries, and decided that weaning could wait until tomorrow. Maybe I am a bit too nice of a mom. :) Even after 5 days, it still seems strange to only fill 2 bottles instead of the usual three. I am SO thankful that I was able to find such a great home for Cookie, but it still seems like something is missing. It saddens me to know that soon only Oreo will be left out of the mighty trio, and finding a good home for Nutmeg is more of a challenge than I had hoped it would be. I dream that the perfect family will come for him too, and I sure hope that they do! That's what I thought of as I fed the kids and got Rachel ready for milking. Her udder looked nice and full this morning, and I am trying to think of bucks that woud cross well with her and Heidi. I rush the fresh milk up to the freezer, and treat it extra nice, bacuase I plan to keep this batch raw. After the usual feeding and quietting down of the many farm animals, I dug out the wheelborrow and got to cleaning the coop. I had been putting that off for too long, but we got it nice and clean again in no time. I put everything away, and was headed up the hill before I noticed one of our bantams wasn't looking so good. I realized that she had prolapsed, so I lured her to me with some food and snatched her up. She got a nice bubbly bath in Dawn soap and warm water. I wrapped her tightly in a clean towel and broke out the medicine. After she was properly cleaned off, I pushed the prlapse back in and carefully placed her in a clean cat cage with a towel on the bottom (no bedding, it can stick). I put her in a dark corner of the barn to keep her quiet and gave her some food and water. I finally made it up the hill to enjoy some raw goat milk and fresh eggs with a side of watermelon for breakfast. Later I plan to use a gallon of milk to make some more vinegar cheese to put on my salads. We have WAY too much milk anyway (as in the entire fridge is full of it), and only one goat in milk. Thinking about next year is a bit scary! Later I am also going to order some yogurt and cream cheese cultures online. I am looking forward to making a raw goat milk cheesecake for the whole family on the 4th of July. We always have the whole family over and light fireworks in the middle of our pond. Then, we sleep on the balcony and rise to the sound of hungry goats and many nover-confident roosters. It's a great time to visit family and enjoy the farm. I love taking my little cousins to pet the goats and collect still-warm eggs. I can hardly wait! And that's the running story on this blissful summer morning, plus a little more. Happy summer! :D 

Summer is here in NorCal!!!

Posted by [email protected] on June 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM Comments comments (0)

The forecast was for a record-breaking 107 here today. However, our car thermometer just read 110 :o , and it isn't even 3:00 yet! The goats and chickens are miserable to say the least. Luckily, they have me to bring them ice water and watermelon rinds to get them through the day. :D Sometimes I wonder what the heck made us want to move here. But in the end, the heat just can't keep me away from this place.